From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 6:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: auto notify if router config changes? also sof [7:61704]

dre wrote:

> > Also I was wondering if there is any kind of port management
> tool that can
> > deny or block usage of certain game ports on the LAN ? For
> instance if a
> > corp office is having problems with people using unwanted
> programs such as
> > messenger or counter strike (port 27015 by default) can it be
> done with a
> > software program or packet sender to "jam" that port on a
> specific
> > computer?
>
> it's probably best to just let people run the applications that
> they want to
> run.
> if you want to improve productivity at work, pick up a book or
> go get an MBA
> or something.  i recommend this month's issue of the harvard
> business
> review.

Hear, hear. I love the way you get to the crux of the matter, dre. :-)

On a technical note, if you were to not take dre's advice, I don't know of
any way to jam a port on a specific computer from some other device, at
least not some way that wouldn't do more harm than good. Of course, you
could put an access list on the router so the traffic doesn't get out.

If your company has a very authoritative, controlling culture, then you
could put personal firewalls on the users' machines that block the ports.
Then you could lock down the firewall so they couldn't change its config.

However, the meaner you get, the more creative users will get to go around
your authority. When you tell someone they can't do something, at least here
in the US, they often take it as a challenge, not a hard-coded rule,
especially if you're dealing with testosterone infused LAN game players. :-)

Priscilla