Silvia,

We can better help you if you could share the ATM interface and
sub-interfaces' configuration lines. Feel free to sanitize them first before
sharing though.

It is common practice that when you use sub-interfaces on a router ATM port,
you apply global Interface settings to the physical interface, but not IP
addresses or vpi/vci settings for instance.

So, I would think that the physical interface on your router does not have
an IP assigned to it. Thus, you can't ping it.

You should be able to ping the other sub-interfaces, provided that they have
an IP address, form part of the routing table and there are no ACLs that
prevent your host from getting the echo replies.

My 2 cents

Angel Leiva, EE, CCNP R&S + WAN, MCSE

International Network Services

1255 Corporate Drive, Suite 210