Stull, Cory wrote:

> 3 locations.   Milwaukee,  Madison, Greenbay.     Milwaukee and
> Madison both
> have a 128k port 64k CIR.     Greenbay has full T1 with 64k CIR.
>
> From Milwaukee why is Greenbay's ping response times almost 3
> times faster
> than Madisons?   Wouldn't Milwaukee being the bottle neck of
> 128k port rate
> make both ping response times closer to the same?

The Milwaukee router would be a bottleneck if you were sending more traffic
than the 128 Kbps interface can send. Once you start sending more than 128
Kbps, then the Milwaukee router has to start queuing packets, which would
introduce some delay. For the delay to be noticeable, you would have to be
doing quite a bit more than 128 Kbps. For it to be definitely noticable, you
would need to exceed the queue depth, resulting in dropped and retransmitted
packets. Does the router show that it is dropping any packets? What does the
router say the load on the serial interface is?

Where are the pings originating? What ping tool are you using? How much
bandwidth can it use? Are delays being introduced between your ping station
and the serial interface? For example, are they going across swithces or a
shared Ethernet segment?

My guess is that you aren't using 128 Kbps.

Let's say that you are, though. Because Frame Relay is a packet-switched
network, packets could be queuing up more in the path to Madison compared to
the path to Greenbay. Also, of course, the egress FR relay switch in
Greenbay can whip out the packets much faster than the egress switch in
Madison which has just a 128 Kbps link, compared to the T1 link in Greenbay.

So, it might seem odd that packets can pick up speed, but due to the queuing
at routers and switches in the path, they can. They might get jumbled up at
some point, but then whipped out at 1.544 Mbps at another point.

I hope that explanation isn't too confusing and I hope you're not freezing
there in Wisconsin! :-)

Priscilla