From: John Neiberger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, 5 February 2003 8:13 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Specifying networks in OSPF - How? [7:62463]

In OSPF, the network statement specifies which interfaces will
participate in OSPF routing.  Use whichever syntax you prefer.  Your
first example would cause all interfaces in the 10.10.10.0/24 range to
participate.  Your second example activates only the interface with the
IP address 10.10.10.1.  It really depends on what you're trying to
accomplish.

As a guideline, though, many including myself would suggest that you
always be as specific as possible, using one network statement with a
mask of 0.0.0.0 for each interface.  This is a little more work but it
reduces errors and aids in troubleshooting.

Regards,
John

>>> "Cisco Nuts"  2/4/03 1:52:53 PM >>>
Hello,

Is there a rule of thumb on specifying the network commands in an Ospf
FR
topology?
Ex. for netw. 10.10.10.1/24,  would one specify under ospf:

#router ospf 1
#netw 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

OR

#router ospf 1
#netw 10.10.10.1 0.0.0.0 area 0

Which one??

Is the network specified or the host address itself. Does it depend if
it's
a frame-relay full-mesh (ip ospf network broadcast/non-broadcast) or
partial-mesh (ip ospf network point-to-multipoint) ?

Thank you.
Sincerely,
CN

visit http://www.solution6.com

UK Customers - http://www.solution6.co.uk

The Solution 6 Head Office and NSW Branch has moved premises.
Please make sure you have updated your records with our new details.

Level 14, 383 Kent Street, Sydney NSW 2000.

General Phone: 61 2 9278 0666

General Fax: 61 2 9278 0555

This email message (and attachments) may contain information that is
confidential to Solution 6. If you are not the intended recipient you cannot
use, distribute or copy the message or attachments.  In such a case, please
notify the sender by return email immediately and erase all copies of the
message and attachments.  Opinions, conclusions and other information in
this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of
Solution 6 are neither given nor endorsed by it.