I took a class recently at a local juco that was very good. They used labs
from the Academy material aimed towards advanced router config. I have a lab
at home with a couple of 2600's and a couple of 2500's that I've picked up
off of eBay over the last couple of years and was able to do the labs over
again at home. What I blew thru in the class due to time constraints I was
able to dissect a little more completely and try different commands and such
with at home. As far as reading material I used the BSCN text book and
printed out the Cisco link on IS-IS that is available here (watch for text
wrap)
http://www.ciscopress.com/content/images/1578702283/downloads/2283newchap2.p
df?session_id={191E20FE-35FE-420B-94D2-D7BAA31347FC}
but I understand the actual BSCI text book is available now
http://www.ciscopress.com/catalog/product.asp?product_id={E9CBCDAF-77DF-468E
-B2F6-C902C0B78D6F}
I used a couple of practice tests that were very good but very similar to
each other in content. Either would have probably been enough.
http://www.fravo.com/cisco/index.htm and
http://216.197.111.79/testking/index.cfm?pageid=714&productid=102
Both were outstanding (IMHO) conceptually. If you're looking for braindump,
these-are-exactly-the-questions-you'll-see-on-the-real-test-type study
guides then these aren't what you're looking for. I didn't see any *exact*
questions from either of these on my test but all of the concepts I found on
the test were covered in both of these. TestKing is a PDF and Fravo is a
little app that you run. Fravo probably has more questions but not any more
material is covered. They just ask the same type question 3 different ways.
>From my experience with the test know IS-IS. I was told to expect maybe 3 or
4 questions on IS-IS. I got more like a dozen or maybe even more. The rest
was pretty evenly scattered thru all of the topics that the BSCI topics list
at Cisco has in it. No one area was hit any harder than any other in mine. I
did have fewer actual config the scenario questions than I expected.
Know how OSPF, BGP work and how to set them up. Understand route
sumarization and VLSM. Understand EIGRP and how it interacts with IGRP. Know
IS-IS and CLNS. Know route redistribution. Be familiar with RIP v2.
Basically, know everything in the BCSN book and IS-IS.
I know I'm Forrest Gump-like compared to most I see post here regularly so I
may not be the most accurate indicator of it's difficulty but that was my
toughest cert test of the eight that I've taken to date.