Hey, you can't expect Cisco to be consistent, can you? :-)

It looks like on the 4000 the SPAN command is "monitor session." See here:

ww.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/12_1_14/config/span.htm

Although I understand the gist of your question about port security and hope
somebody answers it, I just wanted to mention that you can't recognize that
a hub has been inserted. It's just a physical-layer device. It doesn't send
frames, just bits. It doesn't have a MAC address. (If it's a managed hub and
needs to send management data, then it does have a MAC address, and then you
could identify it was there if it happened to send some management data.)

Sniffing on switched networks is problematic. I think, strange though it
might sound, it's rather common to insert a hub in order to use an analyzer
or IDS. It's a shame, though, because you have to set the endpoints to half
duplex and risk performance and, worse, auto-negotiation problems.

Of course, getting SPAN to work is preferable, but as you noticed, that can
be problematic too!

Priscilla