Having installed and worked with both products, I think that Cisco's
offering is more comprehensive, but Snort is highly reliable and much
cheaper.
It doesn't have some of the features of the Cisco product (dynamic
shunning), but for most small to medium sized businesses (like the kind I
work with daily), Snort is more than sufficient given the cost.
On average, I can install a Snort sensor on dedicated hardware and FreeBSD
for approximately $1000.  A single Cisco 4210 sensor install costs me about
$5600.  If I need to scale to Gbit capability, I can install a Snort sensor
for approx. $5000, compared to $18K for a Cisco 4250.

In summary, they're both decent products.  If you need a comprehensive
system for large enterprise, then Cisco certainly has the edge over
Snort...at least until you start talking about hardware-based, customized
snort like that from Silicon Defense.  If you just need a solid IDS for
small business and don't want to spend a ton of cash, then Snort is a great
alternative and is usually my first recommendation.