comments in-line:

-----Original Message-----
From: MADMAN [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 9:36 AM
To: Vicky Mair
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: FW: HSRP question [7:62941]

Vicky Mair wrote:
> true enough....i can just image in the event of a storm (mcast, bcast or
spt
> loop) what would happen on that segment, specially running ip phones ;-)
> then again what you guys are doing could be (a) politically driven (b)
> transition phase. what about using auxvlan if indeed you guys are using ip
> phones.
>
> if my memory serves me correct aren't packets process switched between
> primary and secondaries ?

   Yes by default packets are process switched between secondaries. got
that call a few times, CPU is really busy, only to see all these
secondaries.  "ip route-cache same-interface" helps a lot.
------------------
yikes!

   Yes secondaries are often driven by layer 8 issues, networks that
grew out of control, cheezy ways to implement "VLANS" etc...
amen to that....

   Auxvlans are switch specific, at least I'm pretty sure.
....my auxvlan comment was directed more towards c6k/catos...native ios does
not supports voice (t1/fxs...etc) at least the last time we looked at
it....in our case we run hybrid on dist and non-l2 on core. we keep it
simple.

/vicky

   Dave