Try this ping from the nodes:

ping -f -l 1600 node-on-other-side-of-ATM

If this doesn't ping, then the ATM connection is only
letting 1500 through. The Ethernet router interface is
fragmenting packets to 1500 bytes (1600 packet becomes
2 packets) from the nodes. When doing a ping from the
router, if using ATM interface as source then it is
going across ATM as 1600 bytes.

http://shopping.yahoo.com