> > so does layer 3 switching require the use of VLANs to actually do
> > the switching?
>
> It's true the contrary case: the Vlans requires L3 to be routed, or, in
> other terms, to comunicate each others. The L3 switching has no sens
without
> VLAN

Right, I understand that inter-VLAN routing requires L3 switching - but is
the opposite also true? Does L3 switching require VLANs to be defined? If
that is the case, then it would lead me to believe that L3 switching is
based on VLAN info and not on the IP address, but I don't think that is
correct.

Thanks for the help!
Stephen Hoover
Dallas, Texas