""Jens Neelsen""  wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> a layer3 switch (e.g.3550-EMI) does not have layer3 interfaces.
> All interfaces (Fastethernet and GigabitEthernet) are layer2
> interfaces. They can not have IP addresses.

gentle correction. by entering the "no switchport" command, one removes the
particlar interface from the "L2" domain and into the L3 domain. At this
point one can indeed enter IP address onto the physical inerfaces.

I think you may be getting too carried away with L2 versus L3.

A physical port exists in multiple layers of the OSI model, if you want to
talk in terms of OSI.

There is the physical port. There is whatever that physical port talks to
and how. For example, an ethernet port has physical and mac layer
characteristics. otherwise, how would it communicate with other devices on
the wire? Add an IP address, and that port is now "L3" as well.

A router with an ethernet interface plugged into a switch operates at all
three "layers" of OSI.

> The VLANs are the (virtual) interfaces to the routing engine
> (=layer3 switch).

yes. good way of putting it.

> Layer2 interfaces are grouped into different VLANs and the
> Layer3 switch (=Router) enables the communications between these
> VLANs.

one can also bridge between vlans, at least in the 3550 world. fallback
bridging.

> A Router has to have different IP subnets on each interface.
> Because the VLANs are the interfaces to the router, you need
> different subnets on each VLAN.

if you have subnet based vlans.

remember that you can also have ip addressing on different ports, although,
as you say, these all have to be on different subnets. unless you are
etherchanneling, but that's a different story.

but to get back to point here, what is the difference between a physical
port configured with an IP address and a physical port assigned to a vlan,
with the vlan having an ip address?