From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of
Stephen Hoover
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 7:56 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Understanding VLANs - how they remove the physical
[7:63194]

Ok, let me see if I can simply this:

A post that Jens Neelsen made says "a layer3 switch (e.g.3550-EMI) does
not
have layer3 interfaces. All interfaces (Fastethernet and
GigabitEthernet)
are layer2
interfaces. They can not have IP addresses." Further he adds "The VLANs
are
the (virtual) interfaces to the routing engine (=layer3 switch). Layer2
interfaces are grouped into different VLANs and the Layer3 switch
(=Router)
enables the communications between these VLANs. "

Ok then the question is - if you have a LAN with ALL switches and NO
routers - how do you define a gateway on the client?

Example:

2 L2 switches. All hosts on switch 1 are in IP subnet 192.168.1.0/24 and
all
hosts on switch 2 are in IP subnet 192.168.2.0/24. Both L2 switches are
connected to a single L3 switch with a router engine in it.

Where do you define the gateways at? In order for hosts on L2 switch 1
communicate with hosts L2 switch 2, the client has to have a gateway to
forward to correct??

Stephen