> Emilia Lambros wrote:
> >
> > Why can't the L3 switches be run as L2 switches (ignoring the
> > routing capabilities) in that situation?  If those two switches
> > were connected in that case, then connected to the core,
> > wouldn't that solve the problem of a gateway being 3 or 4 L3
> > switches away?
>
> Your default gateway can be any number of L2 switches away from you. It
just
> has to be in your subnet, VLAN, broadcast domain.
>
> Priscilla

I caused the confusion in this situation - I asked what would happen if your
gateway was 3 or 4 L3 switches away. What I should have asked was what would
happen if your gateway was 3 or 4 distribution layer switches away. I was
referring to the L3 switches as devices instead of function. In my example I
was trying to illustrate how extending a VLAN across the core created a poor
path for the client on the far side. When I said that the client on the far
side is a L3 switch away from it's own gateway, what I meant was that the
client's network path would have to cross the L3 switch (but at the L2
level) in building B to get to it's gateway on the L3 switch in building A.
In other words the host is crossing the core through the L3 switch in
building, but it is crossing that L2 level. Sorry for that.