Ok, its 1:29AM CST - and I am setting here chewing on this switching study
guide information about VLANs. I think I see where my confusion has come
from and what the answer is now.

Layer 3 switching does not require VLANs, but what is DOES require is a
physical port connection on the common L3 switch for every IP network that
is connected to the L2 switches. (Hosts on the same L2 switch that are
configured to be in 2 different IP networks.) This is not always possible
nor administratively friendly.

With VLANs, you can create the equivalent of sub interfaces on a single port
on the L3 switch - hence trunking. You cannot trunk multiple IP networks
(without VLANs) on a single port connection the L3 switch, because you
cannot create Ethernet sub-interfaces...

That's where I was missing it.

I think it both Vicki and Jens mentioned something about this.

Of course if I am off-kilter here, someone please slap me about :) Otherwise
I am confident this is where my misunderstanding really occurred.

Thanks to EVERYONE who responded - you are all a great group of people to
stick it out until this was beat into my thick skull!!!

Stephen Hoover
Dallas, Texas