I am having trouble calculating some real world burst sizes for QoS. My goal
is simply rate limit TCP as closely to 1.0 Mb as possible. I understand the
sawtooth will make this difficult and the fact that packet sizes are ever
changing, but I am basing my caluclation on 1500 byte Ethernet.

the command specifically is:

police 1000000 burst-size exceed-action drop

It is this burst size that I am not sure how to calculate. Using Cisco's
formula I tend to get very small numbers ( 250 bits etc...the default
minimum is 8KB!) I have played around with a traffic generator and kind
eyeballed that for 1.0 Mb of traffic a burst size of 125000 seems to work.
Is this a reasonable number? What have other poeple used? Are there any
guidelines to what this should be set to?

Below is a config of what I have:
switch# sh class
 Class Map match-all ANY (id 2)
   Match access-group  101

switch# sh access-li
 Extended IP access list 101
    permit ip any any

switch# sh poli
 Policy Map test3
  class  ANY
   police 1000000 125000 exceed-action drop

switch# sh run int f0/1
Current configuration : 109 bytes
!
interface FastEthernet0/18