A native VLAN is the VLAN that that port uses when trunking breaks down.
Thats it. If you don't set it to a specific VLAN in the config, then the
native VLAN will be the default vlan. On cisco, this is VLAN 1.

Normally, the trunk is up and running and the native vlan doesn't come into
play. However, if the trunking goes down for any reason, the port reverts to
the native vlan. At that point, only traffic on that vlan/subnet will get
through the port. Typicxally, I will set the native vlan of trunking ports
to the vlan that I'm using for network management so that I can get to the
switch remotely if something goes wrong.

Hope this helps,

Karen