Hi Stuart,

One of the easiest ways to gather this sort of info is to use something like
MRTG (or even better Cricket, using RRD Tool).  These free programs
periodically gather stats from the router and store it.  You can then query
this data and it would draw nice pretty graphs showing you exact usage
through out the day / week / month etc. This can provide very insightful
infromation into data flows, peak periods, sustained throughput etc!  (With
cricket you can also gather stats on interface errors, cpu usage, memory
usage, basically anything that you can snmpwalk ! )

Look at http://cricket.sourceforge.net/