The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) documents port numbers. They
should be your fist stop for questions of this sort. Then you would need to
do more reseach on the protocol once you learn what it is. Their Web site is
here:

http://www.iana.org/numbers.html

Go to P and then Port Numbers and you'll find this:

h323hostcall    1720/tcp    h323hostcall

H.323 is an ITU standard. Here's a URL to some stuff from ITU:

http://www.itu.int/rec/recommendation.asp?type=folders&lang=e&parent=T-REC-H.323

The International Multimedia Telecommunications Consortium (IMTC) is also
involved in H.323. They have a page about H.323 here:

http://www.imtc.org/h323.htm

There's more stuff here too:

http://www.h323forum.org/

And if you really want something useful, I recommend "Integrating Voice and
Data Networks," Scott Keagy, Cisco Press.

Keagy says that TCP port 1720 is used by an endpoint learning the
destination network address and Transport Service Access Point (TSAP)
identifiers for the different layers of H.323 communications. It's one of
many ways and endpoint can learn this. It's very complicated. Wish I could
say more, but I'm still trying to take it all in too.

Priscilla