we had similar symptoms and without having much information from you, your
problem may or may not be the same as mine--what we found was that even
though we had forced the speed and the duplex on the switch, the server
NIC's were still at auto detect.  Once we changed the servers to 100/full
the problems vanished.  these were all intel servers running Win NT, Win2K
and Linux.  Needless to say it is now SOP for the sysadmins to set the speed
and duplex on new servers :-)

do show port on the 4006 and sh interface on the 2950's and look at the type
of errors...

""John Brandis""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Another problem
>
> Sys admins here have noticed that when trying to ping some of the
switch's,
> some of the packets simply die in transit. Other people have said that the
> speed of file transfers here is getting poor.
> We have a simple network here, 3 levels, each having 4x 2950's, connect
via
> Gigabit to the single core 4006 with SupIII.
>
> I have tested this and I notice bizzare ping reply times (500ms) when I
try
> to ping from the core to one of the floor switch's. On the level I work
on,
> we dont use fibre back to the core, as we are on the same level and use
> copper, and I dont see this problem, however I still connect to the
Gigabit