""Steve Wilson""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On the 3550 devices that I have the label on the back indicates whether it
> is EMI or SMI, beyond that if you can type in the command IP ROUTING it
> would seem logical that it is an EMI rather than an SMI.

I believe the SMI does RIP routing, so this is not necessarily proof.

the label on the switch only tells what the device was when Cisco shipped.
It is common practice for sellers on e-bay to up the image to EMI and sell
the boxes as EMI to command a few more bucks.

the sh ver will also proclaim the device as SMI, even with the EMI image
loaded.

I coulda sworn that there was somewhere else in the output that indicated
the image type, but it doesn't surprise me that I am wrong.