  From: John Neiberger
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 9:15 AM
  Subject: RE: ??? collapsed backbone ??? [7:64467]

  This term is also often used to describe what happens to males after
  they marry.  :-)

  John

  >>> "Steve Wilson"  3/5/03 8:24:22 AM >>>
  This may only be a simple description but it works for me.
  A collapsed backbone sounds painful but is really a description of the
  situation where you have a network that conforms to the Cisco model of
  "Core, Distribution and Access" layers without the core. The core part
  is
  basically provided just by a high speed link between the two big sized
  distribution switches.
  An example would be two catalyst 6500 type switches as a central
  distribution fanning out to lots of access switches. The link between
  the
  two 6500s could be a group of gigabit fibre links.

  Steve Wilson
  Network Engineer