From: Troy Leliard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 05 March 2003 16:10
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Multiple WAN Connections to a Network [7:64469]

If I follow, you have two wan conncetions providing access to you server
farm. Some of the servers on this farm will have 2 public IP address,
one from each of your providers?

Presumably you aren't of a large enough size to warrant applying for you
own AS, and using BGP,m which is the preferred solution. (as you will
see why below).

The next question is how do you invisage doing load balancing / fault
tolerance.  Presumably you will have two dns entries for your server, eg

www.mywebserver.,com has two a records, on pointing to the Sprint IP,
and one pointing to the Qwest IP.  If either of your wan links go down,
dns is not intelligent enough to stop routing to the "down" ip address
and you will still have 50% traffic being dropped due to the round robin
nature of DNS.

Terry Oldham wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Our goal is to setup the two WAN connections for both fault tolerance
> and load balancing via the router.
>
> We want some of the server machines to have direct access to the
> internet and then the rest will go through our proxy server. The
> computers that we
> want to connect directly will be issued an IP address from the
> block of IP
> that we were given, in fact they will be given 2 ip addresses,
> one from
> Qwest and one from Sprint.
>
> I too am a lowly CCNA just looking for answers...
>
> Thanks
>
> ""Steven Aiello""  wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Terry,
> >
> >    I'm not totally sure what you are doing with your setup.
> Are you web
> > hosting and you have the 2 connections up for fault
> tolerance?  or some
> > other reason.  Unless I am mistaken is you are running
> between to AS's
> > on the net you need to use BGP.  ( Please all correct me if
> I'm wrong,
> > I'm still a lowly CCNA ) But I know that when we had our
> Qwest line
> > installed they asked us if we had another service provider
> for this
> > reason.  Also if you are a stub network why not use default
> routes?
> > Like I said it's hard to say for sure with out knowing what
> your doing.
> >    That's just what occurred to me.  Hope it helps.
> >
> > Again please to all in the group correct me if I am mistaken,
> I'm more
> > than happy to be corrected if it means I have a greater
> understanding of
> > the subject.
> >
> > Steve

 This email has been content filtered and
 subject to spam filtering. If you consider
 this email is unsolicited please forward
 the email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
 request that the sender's domain be
 blocked from sending any further emails.