hi,

i am wondering if anyone knows how the route is able to provide the AS in a
traceroute. I figure that it is querying it's own BGP table, kinda doinga
mini-"sh ip bgp x.x.x.x" sort of deal.

the reason I am asking, I am trying to write a traceroute program and would
like to include AS info in it. My own traces from a linux or windoes box
don't include this info...

I considered getting zebra going and querying the server's BGP table
but I am hoping there is a nifty UDP probe or ICMP message that will return
that info.

any suggestions?