Just as an FYI I received the following in an answer to a question I sent
to cisco. It goes a bit off topic from the original question but it didnt
really make sense to just paste in the mention of QOS.

=====

I will try to explain the rational for C&S IP Telephony and how it relates
to CCIE Voice.

C&S is a Service Provider oriented exam. The commonality between Service
Providers is their IP core and the technologies involved with an IP core
such as unicast IP routing (OSPF, ISIS, BGP), QoS, Multicast, MPLS, MPLS
VPNs, traffic engineering, Multiprotocol BGP, etc. These are the main
elements of the C&S lab exam and we expect a C&S CCIE to be expert in these
areas. Service Providers also supply a number of access services such as
optical, cable, DSL, wireless, dial, and IP Telephony.

When the C&S track was designed we decided that it is not feasible to
require a candidate to be expert in all of these service areas but they
should be familiar with a least one of these areas. So the structure of the
C&S exam evolved into 1 lab that tests the core IP technologies and a
series of written exams that
cover the core IP technologies and 1 of the service technologies.

Therefore a C&S CCIE is considered to be a core IP expert but is also
literate in at least one service area.

CCIE Voice will test competencies regarding a total voice solution, but not
the inherent infrastructure over which a VoIP solution is implemented. That
is why the CCIE Voice written exam is %100 percent voice.

Therefore a CCIE in Voice will be considered a VoIP expert while a C&S CCIE
who passed the IP telephony exam is considered a core IP expert with a high
level of VoIP literacy. I agree that there is a %50 overlap between the
CCIE Voice written exam and the CCIE C&S IP telephony exam, but there is
very little overlap between the CCIE Voice lab and the CCIE C&S lab.

The one topic that is common is QoS.

--On 06 March 2003 18:19 +0000 The Long and Winding Road