HI Priscilla,

Thanks for your response. This problem is driving me nuts.

Looking at sh int, sh frame pvc etc I can't see any significant errors or
problems.

We have been using auth for some time. No significant changes, other than a
power down on Friday, problem notice don Monday. I have gone over the router
configs and nothing looks wrong. No routes flapping, all times on routes are
consistent. There are no firewalls or access lists in this equation.

>From the client side, this is the packet flow:

3 way handshake ok
Final ack from the client (WINXP) declares a 62420 byte window size.
SMTP starts, ehlo, auth, mail from, etc all ok.
After "send data..."  from the server, client sends an ack, with Windows
size 63795 (I guess the client is thinking at this point that it has a good
fast connection, and the server is emptying it's buffers quickly?).

I then see 5 packets of SMTP data at

ARRRGHHH!!!! It's 8.15pm, i'm still at the clients site and my laptop just
blue screened (it has the captures...). yay.

Right, I then see 5 packets of SMTP data (from client to server) at 1514
bytes a piece. I then see  one packet with smtp data from client to server
at 946 bytes. not sure why.

Then I see 3 acks from the server to the client, ack'ing the 3rd, 5th, and
get this the NEXT SMTP data packet. It looks like the packet and ack were
recieved at the same time. THe acks all have a window size of 8760. This
tells me that either the recieve buffers are full or set too small on the
server?

The above 5 packets and 3 acks happens another 4 times (the email is about
400 Kbytes), then the re-transmissions start.

I get 6 retransmissions of the 4th to last SMTP data packet from the client
to the server, then the whole sequence starts all over again from 3 way
handshake. No rst or fin or anything.

On the mail server I can see it logging that it is waiting for the message
body, and times out waiting.

Perhaps the buffer fills up on the server and it can;t empty it anymore? In
this case I would expect to see some sort of notification from the server to
stop sending (a reduced window size perhpas?)

I'm going to train it home (with my nose in TCP/IP illustrated) then study
the captures some more. If anyone is interested, I can send you the
captures, they are from Sniffer Pro.

Cheers,

Symon