At 8:56 PM +0000 3/7/03, John Neiberger wrote:
>Here's a quote from something I just saw in the news:
>
>"Scientists at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center used fiber-optic
>cables to transfer 6.7 gigabytes of data -- the equivalent of two DVD
>movies -- across 6,800 miles in less than a minute.
>
>Pushing the tech envelope
>The team was able to transfer uncompressed data at 923 megabits per
>second for 58 seconds from Sunnyvale, California, to Amsterdam,
>Netherlands. That's about 3,500 times faster than a typical Internet
>broadband connection. "
>
>Okay, 923 Mbps is a speed record?  An OC-48 is roughly 2.6 times faster
>and they're fairly common.  What's the big deal about 923 Mbps?  I
>realize that I must be missing something very obvious here but I don't
>understand the milestone they're claiming to have passed.
>
>Admittedly, I'm about to fall asleep in my chair but that's par for the
>course with me.  :-)
>
>So, what's the big deal?  In a world of OC-192 and up, why is earth
shattering?

I'm baffled by it as well. I suppose it might be a fair
accomplishment for a host to sink that much traffic, but the network
part is straightforward -- it's just OC-192, and any number of
routers can handle multiple OC-192.

OC-768 has been demonstrated, and DWDM of many OC-192s isn't a big
deal -- the big deal is how many lambdas you can get on a fiber. I've
seen lab experiments with hundreds.

The optical physics people tell me that you're starting to approach
fundamental chip technologies much over OC-768, although I have
talked to people that think they can double it to 80 Gbps.  Lots of
parallel OC-192s, however, may be just as useful.