""Nate""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Guys,
>
>    I'm thinking of recommending IP Telephony for our company.  I have
> limited knowledge on the subject and I was wondering if any of you are
> experts (or fraction thereof) that could help me make out a project plan
for
> this.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Is there a business case to be made? Do you have PBX's for example, whose
leases are going to be up? Will you save money? What is your current
infrastructure? Will it support VoIP? Are there features your users have now
via the PBX that are not available on Call Manager? Will you save money on
your voice trunking? How about your WAN - is it sufficient to support voice
and QoS requirements? Will your routers support QoS and voice
compression/decompression? Are there applications available via IP phones
that will provide better productivity and hence more profit for the company?
Does your company have the staff on hand to support IP telephony, especially
on top of the other work they do?

Hey, I think VoIP is as kewl as any other geek out there. But I wore a white
shirt and tie for a long time. Masters degree class 101 taught me lesson
number one - what is the business case? What is the ROI? What is the
discounted net present value of future cash flows?

Not that management listens to us geeks anyway....... :->