I guess this would depend on the media / interface that you are applying the
ACL to?  EG for TR, you would use non-canonical, and if applying the address
to ethernet interface canonical.

Presumably, inbound packets from TR pass "through" any inbound ACL's, then
get converted to canonical and passed out ethernet interface (or DLSW etc?? )(

'http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/ibm_r/brprt1/br1dtb.htm#1017750'