OK, I've seen enough of this inaccurate title for a thread.

Of course Top-Down Network Design covers Layer 8 and above issues. It's a
main focus of the first chapter and one of the reasons the book has done so
well. One of my goals was to help newbies, especially, and also the guys
(and yes, it's mostly guys who think this way! ;-) who assume network design
is a matter of selecting speeds and feeds and cool devices.

Chuck confirms that the hardest challenges are dealing with difficult design
customers who won't tell you the entire story either because of "politics"
or because they don't the entire story and don't want to look stupd, have
ridciulous budgets but won't make any trade-offs, have biases for certain
technologies for no technical reason, etc. Those are all discussed in
Top-Down Network Design.

Of course, reading about it in a book and encountering it for real are two
different things. Maybe that's why Chuck forgot that it's in the book. Well,
I know he was also just trying to be funny, but the inaccuracy of the thread
title bugs me. @:-)

Of course, Oscar Wilde did say, "There's no such thing as bad press."

Priscilla