That's a huge subject and one that would require a very long and
detailed explaination.   In short however the basics are as follows:
h.323 has been around awhile and is the basic standard out there.
Cisco only made IP phones that supported h.323 for the longest
time.  They now are into SIP support as well.  SIP came along and
basically replaces h.323 and is more feature rich and really IMHO
the future in comparison to h.323.  More and more vendors are
working to support SIP in their products, IP phones, firewalls, etc.
As for MGCP that's the media gateway control protocol (or
something like that) and deals with the communications between
media gateways - more ISP related than the typical enterprise.

There are tons of documents, rfc's, writeups and so forth on this
subject for further research.

Good luck,

Ian

http://www.ccie4u.com