David,

I encountered a similar problem...... The VPN client I was using had an
intrinsic firewall that was blocking all traffic apart from that belonging
to the VPN (even when it wasn't 'live').

To check this, right click on the VPN client icon within your system
tray..... can you see a 'Stateful Firewall' or 'Firewall' option ???

If so, uncheck this option and try to ping your machine - it should be as
expected now.

If not then you have a different problem elsewhere ????

Hope this helps,

Brian