Tiongster wrote:

> Hi to all pros,
>
> I would like to ask a very simple which is also very confusing.
> If I
> connected three hubs together have I break a 5-4-3 rule?

No, 3 hubs connected together does not break the 5-4-3 "rule."

> But I
> don't
> think I have break the 5-4-3 rule because I believe the wiring
> of the
> hub is a bus circuit which is a segment

The 5-4-3 "rule" already takes into account that repeaters (hubs) introduce
some delay. You don't have to consider their bus architecture, or if they
even have a bus architecture. The "rule" includes soem default amount of
delay for the repeaters (hubs).

> and with three hubs
> connected
> together it consist of three segments.

Four segments, actually, but that's OK.

PC---HUB---HUB---HUB---PC

Each --- represents a segment.

> I hope someone will
> correct me if
> I'm wrong as I have been debating with my peers for past few
> days. My
> peers insisted four hubs connected is the correct one which is
> the
> maximum network of the 5-4-3 rule. Aren't four hubs consist of
> four
> segments which have broke the 5-4-3 rule?

Four hubs is still OK too.

PC---HUB---HUB---HUB---HUB---PC

The 5-4-3 topology is just one possibility. Other topologies are possible as
long as round-trip delay doesn't exceed the time to send the minimum-sized
frame (512 bits).

Priscilla