>Can't find the link off hand, but recently I read something on the
Cisco web
>site about L2 vulnerabilities - mac flooding or something.
>
>In any case, what it comes down to is that the possibility exists
that
>someone of evil intent could sniff a network and discover something
useful
>that could be used to cause problems later.
>
>Why have OSPF authentication on internal links? Why have chap
authentication
>on dial up lins? After all, who's out there tapping your telephones?

I understand your reasoning here but I have to slightly disagree with
it.  In a LAN I'd possibly agree with this, but if someone is sniffing
your WAN or MAN connections then you have way bigger problems than CDP!
If someone at the telco has inserted a sniffer into the frame relay
network or onto a point-to-point link then they're already going to be
getting a lot more information than CDP provides, and turning CDP off
would be worthless.  They'll already see all of your routing updates as
well as all unencrypted traffic.  They'll also already know what the
endpoints of that circuit are so how would CDP help them?  It wouldn't.

On a LAN you run into the problem of physical access.  If someone can
physically access a hub or a switch they might be able to access your
network. In a case like that perhaps you'd want to turn off CDP, but I'd
suggest upgrading your physical security before turning off CDP.  If
there's the potential for a stranger to get into one of your wiring
closets and hook up with a laptop then again, you have much bigger
problems than just CDP.