Newell Ryan D SrA 18 CS/SCBT wrote:

> Reading the CDP vulnerability link, I cannot determine how a
> hacker can
> trigger the attack. Reading the email trail
> it seems that you are worried about the info displayed in the
> frame.

That's not why most security "experts" say to disable CDP, from what I
understand. Their concern is a hacker who has gotten into a perimeter router
can then gather info about the rest of the internetwork to make it easier to
do his job. Maybe at this point he's just doing a little recognizance. He
could get in, grab some info, and get back out for now. Then he could go
away for a while, plotting evil. When he comes back he will be more potent
because of the data he gathered. It's a weak argument for sure, but I think
that's what they say.

> If that
> is what your company
> is trying to avoid, here is an idea. Why not disable it on a
> per port basis.
> That is a lot of work
> but every one gets what they want. On the links between network
> devices
> enable it and on the links to host
> disable it.

That's a good idea. I think the "experts" say this too.

> That why a hacker jus cant 'plug in' and get the
> info. I know
> cisco has a the 'set port host' macro commands
> for CATOS that disables a lot of stuff. I wish that it
> encompassed disabling
> cdp.

It doesn't disable CDP? It certainly should! :-)

Priscilla

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09