Ng, Kim Seng David (David) wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> In Bootstrap protocol, does the PIM router selects the RP with
> the higest or lowest IP address (assuming everything else is
> the same) from the RP-set list obtained in the RP-discovery
> message?? I was reading Jeff Doyle's "Routing TCP/IP Vol 2" and
> pages 491 (first bullet point) and 564 (last second para) seems
> to contradict. I have done some testing and it seems to be the
> lower IP address. Auto-RP seems to be the opposite.
>
> Appreciate any response.
>
> Thanks
> David

Per the examples in the below document, it should be the highest IP for both
Auto-RP and BSR.  I chose not to implement either in a recent multicast
project, though, so I can't speak from experience.  I'm hoping to go back in
and try Anycast RP someday, but the network is now in production and isn't
easly touched.