At 05:30 PM 3/15/2003 +0000, The Long and Winding Road wrote:
>With the announcement of the CCIE Voice certification ( a Good Thing, IMHO )
>I wonder a couple of things:
>
>1) who will be the first quadruple CCIE?

A certification junkie ;-)

>2) Does Cisco still recognize the Design, WAN, and IBM CCIE's as valid
>certifications, making it possible to have more than four?
>
>3) When will the CCIE become just another useless cert in the long history
>of useless networking certs?

I really don't see the point myself.  Having a CCIE proves that one is able
to do research and pass a relatively challenging test.  However, the
practicality of the material tested upon is really questionable (more so in
some tracks than others I expect as well)

I imagine most employers with the technical ability to properly evaluate
candidates will not weight candidates with more than one CCIE higher than
others.  I imagine these types of employers will simply look for candidates
who can demonstrate the proficiencies they are looking for.  Further, there
is little justification outside of the VAR space to hire CCIEs over
otherwise qualified folk anyway.  Indeed, there may be justification not to
as a CCIE may attract more head hunter attention (if there are any left)
than a non CCIE would.

For me, the CCIE was a good motivation for learning some technologies I
would have otherwise ignored.  If I were to do another one, it would
provide only that benefit.  But the costs are becoming quite prohibitive,
and Cisco's decision to raise the cost of recertification to 300 bucks has
really left me wondering if I will recert.  I'm not big on extortion.

Pete