I've been hunkering down with the Parkhurst OSPF book, just refreshing my
memory.

BTW, for the nitty gritty on how commands work on Cisco routers, Parkhurst
is da man.

However, I am noticing a lot of glitches for which I have neither the
patience nor the time to sort out.

For example, redistribution into OSPF.

As I go through the Parkhurst exercises, I find odd things in my routing
tables - routes that should have been filtered in the route-map. route tags
assigned by the route-map but not showing up in the ospf database ( show ip
ospf database ) or into the routing table ( show ip route x.x.x.x )

Sometimes "clear ip ospf redistribution" does not clear all the routes.

I have also noticed this odd thing: When reditributing EIGRP, for example,
if I enter a "no redistribute eigrp x route-map etc" command under the ospf
process, I go back and look at the configuration, and there is a
"redistribute eigrp x" statement still there. it wasn't there to start with.
This has happened a couple of times.

another one is the application of route tags. This happened a couple of
times, and it took several applications of the "clear ip ospf
redistribution" to finally get the route tags to attach to the routes.

for those who have experienced bizarre behaviour like this during your
studies, all I can say is I feel your pain. It is apparent that some of the
IOS images out there can produce odd behaviour sometimes.

All of this further validates my belief that I ran into one of those "one
of" bugs in the Lab last time through. I can't say what it was, fearing an
NDA violation rap, but it involved something I have done many times here at
home and works exactly the way it is described in the documentation - EXCEPT
in the Lab pod I was using - and ended up costing me about 10 points, in my
estimation   :-<

--
TANSTAAFL
"there ain't no such thing as a free lunch"