To add to this:
Here is another one that made me pull my hair out:
Maybe you can help shed some light on this one for me:

MD5 auth. in area 0
Specified #area 0 auth message-digest in the transit area (area 1)
Only specified#area 1 virtual-link x.x.x.x

Ditto config. on the other area 1 router:

This works...but why??

I always thought that you had to specify the md5 authentication in the
virtual-link cmd. but it appears not so.

Here is what did catch my eye:
When specifying the md5 key, the VL does use key 1
Ex. Message digest authentication enabled
    Youngest key id is 1

but when NOT specifying it, it uses the default-key 0 and this still works
even though area 0 is using key 1 !!!
Ex.   Message digest authentication enabled
      No key configured, using default key id 0

But MOST IMPORTANT: will any points be deducted by the proctor god in the
Lab if one does not specify the md5 keyword in the VL cmd??