Hi Stuart,

I set this up on an 803 and a 3620 and here is what I found. I had to add a
few basic commands like dialer-group and dialer map to make the 801 dial out
but I assume you just left those out of your post because you say it works
without the callback options configured.

I used debug ppp negotiation on both routers, as well as debug isdn q931 to
make sure I could see which router is disconnecting the calls. Debug dialer
events and debug dialer packet are always handy to use as well. As a side
note I found the CIT Exam Cert Guide from ciscopress really helped me to
understand the ppp neg and q931 debug output when I was doing CCNP.

The 800 dials out and claims to have negotiated a callback and states that
it is waiting to be disconnected by the callback server. You will find this
immediately after the CHAP section of the debug ppp negotiation output. It
is the debug dialer output that shows this line.

The 3600 receives the call but has the following line after the CHAP success
:

01:33:21: BR1/0:1 DDR: No callback configured for user cisco801.

I solved this by adding the following to the 3620.

interface dialer 60
dialer string 11 class Callback
!
map-class dialer Callback
 dialer callback-server username

You may also have to use the dialer enable-timeout and dialer
wait-for-carrier-time commands.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,
Glenn.