KW S wrote:

> Can someone tell me what is the function of the protocol field
> in the IP header.
>
> I get a little confused after reading from some many sources.
>
> Regards
> kws

The Protocol field identifies the next layer, in other words the type of
payload that IP is carrying. Almost every protocol has a way of identifying
what the next layer is. The recipient layer uses this information to figure
out which process to pass the payload to.

Ethernet II has EtherType.
IEEE 802.3 has the 802.2 Logical Link Control (LLC) Service Access Points
(SAPs).
IP has the Protocol field.
UDP and TCP have port numbers.

The IP Protocol field identifies the next layer as being one of these:

Protocol Type in Decimal
ICMP       1
IGMP       2
IP         4 (tunneling)
TCP        6
IGRP       9
UDP       17
GRE       47
ESP       50
AH        51
EIGRP     88
OSPF      89

There are others but those are the most common.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com