Newell Ryan D SrA 18 CS/SCBT wrote:

> I have read a part of this book. It seems to line up with the
> CIT. Will this
> be enough reading material to pass the CIT?

Did you retransmit the message or did Group Study send it again by mistake?

Unfortunately, due to no marketing by the publisher, not very many people
know that the Troubleshooting Campus Networks book exists and that it's a
great tool for studying for the Support (CIT) test. So you may not get an
answer from anyone but me, the main author. :-)

It makes me sad to see you post the question and not get an answer, because
it's evidence of the poor sales. Joseph Bardwell and I went to a huge amount
of effort to produce high-quality, targetted content. The result is a
terrific book. It doesn't matter that it's terrific. With no marketing, it
might as well not exist. Also the title is not quite right. It covers more
than campus networks, including tons of info on routing protocols and a
chapter on WAN troubleshooting. The Amazon description that the publisher
wrote is laughable, but sad. :-( So, it has a lot going against it despite
its great content.

Anyway, Troubleshooting Campus Networks should be enough to pass the Support
Test. That was one of my main goals for writing the book. I was one of the
devleopers of the CIT course and have a good feel for what's in it. I was
the developer for version 3.0, but a revierwer for the more recent versions.
I have take the Support test a couple times to get a good feel for what's on
it.

Troubleshooting Campus Networks covers more than you will need for the test.
To make your studying more efficient, be sure to spend time with the tables
that describe the Cisco show and debug commands. The Support exam has a big
focus on those. Also study the output from these commands and the
descriptions of what they mean.

If your goal is just to pass the test, don't spend a lot of time on the
wireless chapter. The current test doesn't have any wireless questions.

Don't spend a lot of time with the protocol analyzer output. Although I
think a troubleshooter should have to know that level of detail, Cisco does
not. :-)

To pass the Support exam, about all you have to know about TCP is that
there's a 3-way handshake. A lot of Cisco people think that's the only
relevant thing to know about TCP.

In Chapter 2, I wrote a lot about troubleshooting methods. Cisco, of course,
expects you just to know their method, which I did cover. :-)

I didn't spend much time on Cisco troubleshooting tools. That's one thing
you may want to get from the official Cisco book or read up on these topics
on CCO, (if you can still find them. The test is outdated). Gain some
familiarity with what the following tools do for a troubleshooter:

CiscoWorks
CWSI
Netsys
TrafficDirector
VLANDirector
WAN Manager
StackDecoder
Core Dump
CCO MarketPlace
CCO Software Center
CCO Bug Toolkit
CCO Troubleshooting Engine
CCO Open Forum

The only other topic that my book doesn't cover in much detail that you may
see on the test is the internal architecture of the Catalyst 5000 and
troubleshooting with the LEDs on the 5000.

The test is not very hard, by the way, not nearly as hard as BSCI, from what
I hear. Good luck with it!

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com