Dear all

I am reading RFC760 (IP protocol) and have the following questions.

IHL : 4 bits

Internet header length is the length of the internet header in 32 bits words

Question: what do u mean by the 4 bits and 32 bits words

Total length :16 bits

Total length is the length of the IP packets in octect including the
internet headers and data. This field allows the length of a packet to be up
to 65,535 octets.

Question: How do we arrive to the figure 65,535 octects

Such long packets are impractical for most host and networks.

All hosts must be prepared to accept datagram of up to 576 octects

Question : 576 octects is the same as 576 bytes and how can it fit into the
total length of 16 bits which is 2 bytes

Thanks
kws