[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In einer eMail vom 13.11.2006 15:13:32 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>

>>Early adopter, too, if he's dressed for the period. Or maybe he's not
>>smoking tobacco.
>>

>I looked up Steen in the Wikipedia, and his dates are given as 1626 - 1679.
>That post-dates Sir Walter Raleigh's trips to Virginia by a generation. So the
>cittern player was most probably smoking the "Indian weed".

Or two generations.

>Clay tobacco pipes play quite a prominent part in the Dutch paintings of the
>17th century. They were used in still-lifes, alog with flowers and fruit, to
>symbolise transience - a long-stemmed clay pipe is very easily broken, and you
>can't smoke it very often before it gets bitter!
>
>There's an English folksong I learned recently that uses the pipe and smoking
>as a sort of memento mori. The "Indian weed"  - green at morn, cut down by
>e'en; the lovely, white pipe, broken at a touch; foul within, requiring the
>purging fire; the smoke that dissipates like human life.  The last line of
>each
>verse is "Think on this when you smoke tobacco!" I don't think the EU
>Ministers
>of Health wrote the song. It has more to do with the health of the soul than
>of the body.

I know that one. James VI & I wrote a condemnation of tobacco. Got his
way 400 years later :-)
I just thought the dress was a bit over-antique for 17th c, especially
the cittern player. But maybe he is meant to be that way, a sort of
traditional dress for musician, more like 16th c.

>By the way, the Wikipedia entry for Jan Steen shows a self-portrait of him as
>a lutenist.

He was probably just practicing adding a lute, the normal practice of
17th c portraitists. 'Nice, yes, but could we have her holding a lute?'
'Sure, it'll cost you 10 guilders to add a small cittern, 20 guilders
for a lute, and if you want her holding a theorbo I'll need a bigger
canvas and frame, so it'll be about double the original quote'

David