At 10:37 AM 12/3/2006, Roger E. Blumberg wrote:
>No-one seems to have mentioned "Ceterone" yet, a theorboed-cittern, twelve
>or fourteen courses, pretty well documented since the early 1600's according
>to the article at Wikipedia, one tuning is given below

It may not have been mentioned because it may not relate? There are
actually several references to citterns with longer string lengths /
dual-pegboxes from the 16th C. onward. I list some below in no
particular order:

-Thomas Robinson's 14c. cittern (but small instrument based on
left-hand stretches?)
-Campi's [Canpi's] 12c. ceterone
-Monteverdi's call (1609) for 2 "ceteroni" (opposed to chitaroni) in Orfeo
-Balsamino (1594) describes the tuning for his 7c. "cetarissima"
-P.P. Melii's 9c. "citara tiorbata"
-Praetorious's 12c. instrument
-Mersenne (1636) mentions a "cisteron" of 14 courses
-Zarlino (1558) mentions that the Spanish use a "ceterone" (with no
further details?)
-Evaristo Baschenis (and followers/associates) depicts what may be a
cittern with multiple pegboxes (# of courses not determined).

Peter Forrester has suggested that there may be a relation between
some of the tunings and lirone tuning? Perhaps he can enlighten us
further. (Also, thanks to Peter for sharing information on many of
the sources I listed above.)

I am woefully behind on updating the "ceterone" portions of my
page.... I would welcome any further input or information.

-Andrew
http://cittern.theaterofmusic.com