Stuart Walsh wrote:
Frank Nordberg wrote:

Very interesting Frank. I remember you referring to the Peter Bang MS, which turned out to be for a viol rather than a cittern. (By the way, did that MS have a date?)

The Bang manuscript has been dated to 1679 but I don't think anybody seriously believes that. Late 1680s to 1690s is more likely.

I thought that the Bang MS was the only potential source of 18th century cittern music in Norway.

I know of three 18th C. Norwegian books with cittern music:

+ The Storm ms., with basic playing and tuning instructions and a handful of simple instrumental pieces. Written by Edvard Storm in Copenhagen between 1779 and 1785 and more continental than Norwegian in style. Wikipedia has an article about Storm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edvard_Storm

+ The Dedekam ms., some songs with simple cittern accompaniment. Written by Mette Kirstine Dedekam and dated to 1799.

+ A cittern tutorial published by Lorents Nicolai Berg (1743-1784) in Kristiansand in 1782. As far as I know, no copies have survived. I'm not sure if Are is still on the list. If he is, maybe he's got some more info.

So this Edvard Storm MS is not using a major key, chordal tuning as in many parts of Europe. It's a cithrinchen (Bell cittern tuning) down a tone?

Is it? I thought the citrinchen was tuned in an open chord.

Is the music in tablature?

Yes.

Is it the tuning of all those Amund Hansen, ten-peg citterns from about 1780?

Almost certainly not.
At least one of the Hansen citterns is clearly made for an open tuning similar to regular C (although not necessarily in that pitch) and it's likely that was the most common tuning here as well.

Frank Nordberg