> Perhaps this is a very acute problem.  With the integrating of XeTeX
> typesetting system into the most of today's TEX leading distros,
> such as, TexLive and MikTex.  The users of CJK pakage may face with
> a alternative solutions of using hieroglyph within TeX-based
> typesetting system, i.e., XeTeX.
>
> As the creator of CJK, there is no doubt that you're the authority
> who can give some comment on this issue.  In one word, my issue is:
> In the long run, which will be the winner in supporting the unicode
> and modern font technologies: CJKutf8 or XeTeX?

In the long run, I believe that luatex will be the winner.  I consider
XeTeX as an interim solution; most of the features XeTeX provides
currently will be incorporated into luatex eventually, I think.

CJKutf8 is a hack which gives satisfactory results if you embed CJK
snippets into a language which can be covered with less than 256
glyphs (e.g., English or Russian).  For real typesetting of a CJK
language the TeX engine itself poses restrictions which cant' be
overcome by macros.

    Werner