> I cannot get emacs 23 to make the same decision as emacs 22 about
> what charset the current char should be - but strangely enough, I
> have a result which seems to work (attached, and also the emacs 22
> result from my system).  It seems to make different font choices.

Thanks for your tests, but your results with emacs 23 are not yet
working well; for example, it selects a CJK font for the `ü' character
in German.

> [...] emacs 23 seems to be switching somewhat freely between
>
> latin-iso8859-1 <->chinese-gb2312,
> chinese-big5-1 <->chinese-gb2312
> japanese-jisx0208<->chinese-gb2312
> chinese-gb2312<->korean-ksc5601
> japanese-jisx0208<->korean-ksc5601
> cyrillic-iso8859-5<->korean-ksc5601

Well, yes.  For input in Unicode, without additional information,
emacs 23 has no other chance than to follow the user setup (in
`.emacs').

However, for files in emacs-mule encoding, even emacs 23 correctly
selects the fonts.  In other words, if I load CJKbabel.tex , the file
looks just fine (at least for me on my GNU/Linux box), and the
`charset' property for each character gives the used charset.
However, if I save the file in UTF-8 encoding (removing the `coding'
tag at the end of the file before doing that), a reloading of the file
no longer selects the right fonts.  For example, Japanese CJK
characters are represented with the SimSun font on my computer.

> I vaguely understand the decision is somewhat arbitrary - and this
> also affect the font choice, hence the Russian section and the Greek
> section are obviously using different fonts in the emacs 23 version
> vs the emacs 22 version.

For emacs-mule encoding, I don't see a different behaviour.

> I also tried your suggestion with getting at the charset text
> property, but it seems that whenever I tried that the code get stuck
> in a loop.

Since this is definitely the way to go (this is, handling the legacy
emacs-mule encoding within emacs 23) I'll ask on the emacs-devel
mailing list if I find some time, which is currently not the case,
unfortunately.  But maybe you are faster than me :-)

> Also I have a small confusion - most of the examples have emacs-mule
> encoding (including the thai section in the CJKbabel example); the
> thai example has tis620. How does cjk-enc.el works on both?

cjk-enc works with all encodings which are charsets at the same time,
including tis620.  However, for Unicode, this is not the case: Within
emacs, this is a virtual encoding, and emacs use a large number of
different charsets to represent it, if necessary.

    Werner