On Tuesday 31 May 2005 1:26 pm, Aecio F. Neto wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 31/05/2005 15:43:22:
> > On Tuesday 31 May 2005 1:03 pm, Aecio F. Neto wrote:
> > > I am using a linux debian under a sparc64 (Sun 4 Ultra - Ultrasparc
>
> II)
>
> > > for a mail gateway system.
> > > This box runs qmail + qmail-scanner + clamav to filter virus messages.
> > >
> > > We are experiencing a very high load on this box. Diabling
>
> qmail-scanner
>
> > > (that calls clamd) results in having this box under expected load
>
> back.
>
> > > I know clamd uses more CPU than without it, but this box - IMO -
>
> should be
>
> > > enough to hold mail messages we have up to now.
> >
> > Switch from qmail-scanner to simscan
> > http://www.inter7.com/?page=simscan
> >
> > Docs at http://www.qmailwiki.org/
> >
> > We specifically wrote simscan to replace qmail-scanner because
> > of high loads. We've seen systems with loads of 20 drop below 1.
> > The problem is with loading perl (qmail-scanner) instead of a
> > small C program (simscan). We run simscan with the QMAILQUEUE
> > patch to reject viruses at the smtp level.
>
> I will give it try.
> Just to understand the big picture here: is there any known performance
> issue in clamav for linux using sparc?
> Or any other option/lib I should be worried about?
No problems that I know about.

I've setup clamav/simscan/qmail on about 3 solaris machines and have
seen no problems. The only issue we had was having clamd write the
log file to /dev/stdout so we could pipe the output through multilog.

Solaris fails on opening /dev/stdout in append mode, so we changed
the clamav code to open it in write mode. Works like a charm.