On 6/10/05, Tomasz Kojm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Use the SCAN command of clamd. You can modify clamdscan to use SCAN
> instead of CONTSCAN.

Woops, sorry my mistake then.  My particular application is for a
scanning rather large files that are infrequently uploaded (a couple a
day, max).  Because they are larger .zips, and infrequent, and a few
other considerations, I was using clamscan and was hoping the feature
could be added to that.  I haven't even looked at clamdscan for a
while and didn't remember that feature (woops, I should have looked --
I only looked at clamscan), still I thought I rember thinking it was
needed way back when.  I suppose I was thinking of clamscan back then
too.

I actually had problems with clamd when I looked at it a few months
ago (0.80), but I'll have to try it again to see if it works better
for me now.

I only hope that other idea to perhaps modify scanning order to
prioritize more suspicious file types first has some merit, but that
is not always possible with pipes and such.

I had other ideas.  Way back, when there were new encrypted zip files,
I thought it would be easy to detect them without being able to or
needing to unzip them by just by looking at the file length and the
CRC32.  Different passwords would change the encrypted data, but not
the CRC32 or the length.  It might also be possible to detect
suspicious .com files similar to email addresses ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) or to urls
(www.z.com).  Other suspicious files like zips with encrypted
executables with lots of spaces to pad and hide the real file
extension far right could also be used to find new viruses.  These
methods could be used to find encrypted files without needing to unzip
them, but these options are more for when you turn on heuristics as
other antivirus programs call them.

Thanks for the consideration.  Good work.