Recent versions of sendmail allow adding headers at the top rather than at the
bottom, via the new smfi_insheader(... 0, ...) milter call.

SpamAssassin (though not a milter) does this by default in recent versions.
MIMEDefang's latest beta has a new action_insert_header.

Would there be any interest in adding this as a feature of clamav-milter?

I've made a patch of clamav-milter which adds the headers at the top rather
than at the bottom, which meets my needs.

I'd be happy to submit the patch as is, but if backwards-compatibility is
likely to be an issue, I could make this a command-line option... for example:

-I --insert-headers
        Attempt to add new headers at the top.  This requires sendmail 8.13.1
or later.
        Otherwise this option will have no effect... headers will be added at
the end.

--
Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com               805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com       Software Engineer